Friday, October 4, 2013

Getting out with my boy

So, as i've admitted in past posts i have a strong desire for my kiddos to love the outdoors and all of the adventure related fun associated with it.  ...sure fire way for them to go the opposite direction?  Who knows?  Well to further my desires :) my son and i recently went to the Nantahala Gorge to watch the Freestyle Kayak World Championships (FWC) and do some kayaking of our own.  We were able to watch the semis and the finals, as well as get out on 2 amazing rivers.  I was positively psyched to observe my son really get into watching those amazing athletes pull some mind blowing maneuvers and combos.  He was fascinated not only by the incredible paddling, but also the fact that these paddlers came from all over the world to compete.  By the time we were watching the finals he was cheering for the athletes by name and whooping when they pulled big air.  I must say that i love the fact that my son has no idea who Kobe Bryant or Shaq are, but after watching the FWC he could tell you all sorts of things about Dane Jackson or Adriene Levknecht!

As for our kayaking, we took our Dynamic Duo, an unusual tandem whitewater kayak, and paddled some of the roughest rapids Miles had ever been through!  We started with the Little Tennessee which is a beautiful river with a nice mix of long flat water sections interspersed with some fun Class I and II rapids.  I wasn't too sure what river we'd hit the next day, but when Miles said he wished there were more continuous rapids we opted for the Nanty.  A little bit of complaining about the cold water aside, Miles loved it and is becoming quite the capable paddling partner!  Got a few pics from the trip below.

Miles and me on the Little Tenneessee

Checking out folks messin' around on the little upper wave on the Nanty.  Also, check out all those flags!  That's about half the countries who had athletes attend!
Wrapping up a run down the Nanty!

NC's own Adriene Levknecht!

Loops galore!

Dane Jackson about to go BIG!

No comments:

Post a Comment